Monday, September 08, 2008
MY LITTLE van GOGH
Here I am, an art teacher, and I'm just getting around to painting with Isaac. Geesh! Where's the love on my part! Isaac was in such a funny mood during his little painting experience. These legos were taking his attention away from the paints, but he still managed to put both of his hands in the paint and doodle a bit. I'm obviously biased about this, but I feel that kids create some of the coolest stuff! I always shook my head to the parents who made their High School kid quit art their senior year because they thought it was "taking up too much of their academic time." Thank goodness I didn't have many of these parents. Actually, I can only think of one off the top of my head. It was always so nice to have students come through the door and say, "Ahhhh, art. My favorite class of the day." Believe me, I made them work from the beginning of class until the end, but they just loved sitting there, listening to the i-pods (woops...there was a rule against that, but I gladly broke that one) talking with each other, comparing their art and bouncing ideas off of each other. What a great experience!! So, the story here is let your kids create! They need it!