Monday, September 08, 2008

The D-Town State Fair


So, going to the State Fair was awesome in so many ways. At certain points of time, Sean and I were laughing so hard we almost had to find bathrooms, and then there was the time Isaac was petrified of a toothless lady and starting bawling. She deserved it, though. I'll get to that part of the story in just a bit.

Neither of us had been to a state fair in a very long time. (By the way, sorry for the ginormous pictures. I'll remember to scale them down a bit next time!) We knew going into this fair (after being directed to park in a super ghetto parking lot) that this was going to be a fun experience, and it was! Isaac was beyond mesmerized by the moving Ferris wheels, the tilt-a-whirls, and the other barf-ious rides. I think he would have been content to just watch the rides the entire time we were there, which would have saved us some money. But alas, we indulged ourselves with many of the things a fair has to offer. Here are just a few things we did:

Sadly, this was the first time we've ever been to a petting zoo for Isaac. The poor kid has only seen pigs, cows and sheep from his little flashcards. He has seen many other animals from our zoo experiences, and going to the lake to feed the ducks and swans, but he's sooo into the sounds that barnyard animals make these days. He goes around the house saying, "mmmmoooooooo" and "baaa!" and "Naaaay!" so to hear him blurt them out in excitement was really cute.

I was fascinated by the "birthing barn." This was the highlight for me:) All of the animals in this particular barn were either pregnant, about to give birth, or had just hatched. So many little ducklings, chickens, turkeys, and other birds. They were so00000 cute, and peeping away. Then there were the pregnant pigs, all of which were due that very day we went. One of them gave birth in front of a large crowd just 2 minutes before I walked over. (How did I miss that?!) She gave birth to 8 little piglets and all of them were given names that all started with the letter J. The other poor pregnant pigs looked miserable. It brought back not-so-fond memories of being 9 months pregnant and just waiting, and waiting, and waiting. And then I checked out the 4 or 5 cows who were all due that week, and they looked the most miserable of all. None of them could keep still, and were jumping around the arena, kicking and running.

I got to play my one round of the water pistol game. I was pretty bummed when the lady two down from me won:) Sean played his game of darts and managed to pop a balloon on his one and only try. What a stud!! This would be the part of the evening that the toothless lady made a really scary face at Isaac, and he just lost it.

We took Isaac on the carousel two times, each of which he screamed when we had to literally pry him off finger by finger from the horse. He looooved it. It was the cutest thing ever!! We closed the evening with an Elephant Ear, which was perfect:) Sean grew up having cinnamon sugar on his, and I grew up knowing nothing other than powdered sugar, so we split it half way to enjoy our traditional home-style elephant ears.

It was a great evening! We especially loved the ghetto rap music blasting from every single booth (including the Crazy Wacky house with those curved mirrors) and the Ebonics being shouted from the booths to try and con you over. Isaac was truly bummed when we left!