Friday, February 12, 2010

Happy 3-0 to Sean!

Sean turned the big 3-0 on Wednesday. He looked at me and said, "30?! I can't believe we are turning 30 this year!" Yeah, me neither. I still see myself as 25, so I'm just going to hold onto that number. Sean has had a really rough year with his schooling. By rough, I mean studying all of the time, sacrificing time away from family, going on out-of-state rotations, taking two huge board exams...you name it. Can you say stressed? So, I decided out of the goodness of my heart this year that I would allow him a privilege which I normally reserve the right for myself.

Birthday week.

Any and every girl knows what I'm talkin' about. I felt like this was a time when Sean could use a week to celebrate; to perhaps numb the pain of the test he has to take this coming Tuesday. To remind him why he is so awesome.

His birthday started off with his big gift: New ski gear. New coat, new pants, new goggles. I splurged and gifted him with nice gear. I wish I could somehow express how unfashionable Sean has been in his old ski gear. To give you an idea? He has had his ski gear since 10th grade. I wish I were kidding. I knew exactly what to get him for his birthday this year when while we were in NY for Christmas, Sean, my brother Bryan and my bro-in-law Jon went skiing together. The horror! Sean's ski pants were short, tight and old looking! His coat? worn out. And what I truly love about Sean is that if I didn't step in as the fashion ski police, he probably would have worn that same getup for another 20 years. I love how he could care less.

That is, until he tried on his new gear.
Woooooooow! This is awesome! I look pretty sweet!

With the ski gear came a choice of a ski trip. I researched 4 ski resorts, and let him choose which one he wanted to go to. I had set up a babysitter for the evening of his b-day, and we were able to go out to eat. After dinner we chowed down on his birthday day. Pumpkin Icecream Torte. Yum. All throughout the day, Isaac could hardly contain his excitement. He sang the "Happy Birthday" song about 20 times.

The following day, I made Sean breakfast. Not just any breakfast, but...30 mini pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream. The mini pancakes were each about the size of a half dollar. It was so much fun! That evening, we enjoyed his favorite meal.

Today he got to have another present, this one a bit more close to the heart. I asked each of Sean's siblings, as well as my siblings to write a few things they love about Sean. He didn't have a clue that I was doing this, which was really fun. Some comments were tender and sweet; others were down-right hilarious.

So Happy Happy Birthday, dear Sean! We love you so very much...more than you can imagine! Here's to 4 more days of celebrating your ancient life!!


Photobucket

5 comments:

Adele said...

What a neat idea! Josh turns 30 this year and I'm looking for great ideas to make it great... I'll have to keep some of these in mind!

jacque said...

I'm in denial as well. My first instinct is to tell people I am 22. I don't know why?! That would not be good seeing that I have a 7 year old! Glad you are having a fun birthday week together. I can't believe Eliza is big enough to be in a Bumbo already! Crazy.

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday Sean!! Ryan's turning the big 3-0 this year too!! I'm with Adele..thanks for the good ideas!

megan said...

Wow. I want to have a birthday week! And I am totally stealing your idea of having friends and fam write notes for Josey's 30th this year.

Bill Leppert said...

Happy Birthday Sean!!! I believe I remember when you got that new gear back in high school. I cannot believe you still have it. Crazy! Don't sweat the 30's, I'm a little over a year into them and its been pretty good.