Tuesday, March 23, 2010

BIG NEWS!

No, for the love of all mankind, I am not pregnant. The big news is...

Sean matched into his #1 Residency Program!!!!

Last week was probably one of the best weeks of my life. really. Have you ever felt like you worked and worked, and worked at something and just. wanted. to. get. good. news.?
To say Sean has worked hard this past year would be an understatement, and I am just above and beyond PROUD of him. Monday came, and we knew that we'd find out at NOON via e-mail if he had matched into any of the programs he applied to. I could not focus all morning. And to top it off, Sean sent me the following text messages around 11am. I just about had a heart attack.

Sean's text: "CRAZY NO JOKE WILL CALL WHEN N IF ABLE"

my text back: "Wait, what? r u tlkng about match or ur rotation?"
to which he replied, "Match"
to which my FRANTIC text back was, "GOOD OR BAD?!?!"
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
waiting for a text
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.10 minutes pass
to which I text,

"WHAT IS GOING ON???"

Finally, he texts me back, saying

"Sorry, I didn't mean match, I meant my day so far"


I COULD HAVE KILLED HIM THROUGH THE PHOOOOOOOOONE!! (not really.)
Noon came, and we both had his e-mail up on our separate computers, and "clicked" the e-mail at the same time to find out the news together.

"Congratulations! You have matched!"

To hurry the story up a bit, they don't tell you where you've matched until Thursday at 1pm. That was when we heard the best news! UNIVERSITY OF ROCHESTER!!



We couldn't believe it! We would have been so happy just to have matched ANYWHERE, but this was just an answer to so so so many prayers, and a lot of thinking and deciding on our part. We loved all of the programs we applied to, but to think we could have the opportunity to spend the next four years of his residency in Rochester, close to my family was the icing on the cake. He was accepted into the 4 year anasthesiology MD program.


Since I am from a small town about 45 minutes east of Rochester, I am pretty familiar with this region. But I decided to look up a few things anyway about Rochester just to get even more excited! Here are a few:


-Rochester has the 2nd largest economy in NY state, behind the NYC metro area.
-It is ranked as the 6th 'most livable city' amont 379 U.S. metro areas
-In 2007. Rochester received the top ranking for overall quality of life among U.S. metros with population over 1 million. In the same study, the areas public school were rated 6th best nationwide.
-It is the birth place to the BEST GROCERY CHAIN, Wegmans. And might I add...
THEY HAVE BABYSITTING AVAILABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-The Eastview Mall-ahhhhmazing
-The Lilac Festival
-Great Northern Pizzeria is about the best place to get pizza. Yum.
-Jell-O was invented here!
-The Strong National Museum of Play is seriously just beyond the coolest museum for kids.
-The Palmyra Temple is just 20 minutes away!




One thing for sure is that we will really miss Michigan, and the great friends we have made. You know, for as bad as Detroit reputation is, as well as the general reputation for the entire state of Michigan, I have never met a friendlier, kind-hearted, generous people. It makes me smile just thinking about it!

18 comments:

J'Amy Day said...

SO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS!!! Congrats!

I'm so sad to see you go, but so happy to know that you will be close to your fam.

Kelli Bramble said...

Aw, congrats!!

Judaloo said...

This is AWESOME!! Congrats!!

Becky said...

How wonderful! Now I want to visit Rochester! Imagine, Jell-o! :) Mr. Rochester is also the name of one of my favorite book's heroes, Jane Eyre. Way to go you guys!

Welch Mom said...

Congrats! That is exciting to see all your work come to a result that you both wanted. And it is nicer to be near family, great babysitting( I know)
But we will be sad that we just found a awesome photographer for our family and now we will be needing to find another:(
As you can see from my profile pic I am due for an update!
You should celebrate too as taking care of your kiddos for even little amounts of time by yourself is a feat!

Adele said...

Wow!! That's awesome! That will be so fun to be back near family! Congrats Sean!

Rebecca said...

Yea! It is great to have things work out as planned! So happy for you!

Rebecca said...

Yea! It is great to have things work out as planned! So happy for you!

Matt and Amber said...

Congratulations! We remember that anxious feeling all too well. Good luck in Rochester!

J. Taylor said...

Nice job Sean and Jeanette. You have a beautiful family.

jenn said...

That is such awesome news! I am SO excited for you guys--and you're right--you deserve it. :) But I am SOOOOO jealous that you will be in the land of Wegmans. I still pine for Wegmans.

West Family said...

I could not be happier for you guys! I got all teared up when V told me on Monday that you had matched. I remember that day for us and it is such a RELIEF to know you matched. I am also glad that you will be in Rochester, I need a new best friend since Veronica is abandoning us:) I know it has been a hard year and I am so glad it has paid off!

Natalie said...

Hooray! I'm thrilled you get to move to such a great city and that you'll be close to your family. We miss Michigan way more than we thought we would. Who would have known? :) Yay for the Neal family!

Deanne said...

Congrats! That sounds perfect!

Darcee said...

I am so, so, so very happy for you guys! You deserve such a wonderful set up for the next 4 years. how great to be so close to family. I really couldn't be happier for you guys! miss you!

Livingstons said...

That's pretty awesome! But then again you guys couldn't be more aweome so it fits. Now this business of you moving FURTHER away...

megan said...

Congratulations Neal family! I could not be happier for you all. You sound so happy, Jeannette! I can't even imagine how wonderful it will be for you to be closer to your family.

Kelli said...

Sorry, it's taken me a while to catch up on you guys! You are busy busy!

Congrats. Rochester? I can imagine the blessing this will prove to be!