...you'd think Eliza was born, right? Not yet. One year ago today I told Sean at 5:00pm that we needed to cancel our dinner appointments we had with our friends. I was having contractions, and I didn't feel like keeling over the dinner table each time a contraction came and went (which at the time was every 20-30 minutes.)
Before we knew it, we were off to the hospital. Sean tried to get me to talk on the video camera while on the way to the hospital, and I reeeeeally didn't feel like it, but I put on a biiiiig smile, telling our "baby girl we can't wait to see you" because that's what I want her to see someday in the video. Not me being a ball of stress, which I was.
8:00pm I checked in. Nurse #1 told me to find a spot on the wall and focus. "It'll make the pain a little more bearable." Nurse #1, I didn't feel a difference whatsoever, just so you know. Dr. #1 was asking me questions during my contractions, which were now 5 minutes apart. Couldn't he see I was in complete pain?? He gave me those eyes, like, "anyday now, you can let me know the answer to my question." Hang on Dr.#1, let me just remove the HOT MOLTEN LAVA KNIFE that is cutting into my body at the moment...and then I'll answer your question.
Nurse #2 wouldn't let me know where the anesthesiologist was. After asking her several times, she sheepishly explained that they had made the decision to tell him he could go home to rest until the following morning, because they thought I was in FALSE labor. Contractions were now 2 minutes apart, and I was 5cm, quickly approaching 6, 7, and 8. Nurse #2 also informed me that they just barely called my doctor to tell him that they NOW thought I was actually serious about having the baby. So he was somewhere in between the hospital and his home, probably taking the back roads and picking up a donut on the way to the hospital.
Nurse #2 tries to sympathize with my experienceby rubbing my back, and whispering in my ear (who wants to be whispered to when they're having contractions?!) "Believe me, I know how you feel...I had four kids...imagine that, and ALL without pain killers." Now this is where I got mean. Like, mean. The Anesthesiologist was now just coming back to the hospital, they told me my doctor would be here any moment 10 times, and so I finally just lost it. I said to Nurse #2, "Oh my gosh, for the love of all mankind, pleeeease stop talking to me. I don't want to hear about your stories right now. And pleeeease do NOT touch me! Seriously!" Sean knows the rule when I'm in labor; Do not rub my back, do not massage my feet. Do not ask me questions unless they're really good questions, do not do anything until I tell you. That's how I roll when I'm having a baby. I know other people are probably all into music and reading and knitting, but not me.
My doctor finally gets to the hospital, and at this point, I'm a mess. He takes one look at my contraction papers that are now piling up on the floor, and he says to the nurses, "These contractions are huge. And you haven't given her ANYTHING to help with the pain?" Nurse #2 explained they were waiting for the Anesthesiologist to get here...STILL. He STILL hadn't shown up.
At 8 cm, I was able to get a half dose of an epidural. At 3:18am, I called the nurse button and told them I needed to push. My doctor came and checked me, and nonchalantly said I still had about an hour or so. Two minutes later, I called the nurse again, and told them I reeeeally reeeeally needed to push. My doctor came in again, didn't even have time to get on a gown, and delivered Eliza three minutes later. Lesson learned: Do not question a woman's instincts to push. ever.
What did I take away from this experience? Nothing, other than a beautiful healthy baby girl, who looked straight into my eyes the minute she was placed on my chest. In that moment, every frustration completely dissolved and was taken over by complete joy and happiness. Eliza. You are most definitely an Eliza, I thought.
In just a few hours, I get to say Happy Birthday to my sweet baby girl...who has the happiest personality, and the cutest laugh, the prettiest eyes, beautiful hands, chubby legs, softest hair, and longest eyelashes. I study your beautiful self every single day. And even when you scream your blood-curdling scream, I still think you're the cutest thing on the earth. I love you.
Love,
Mom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I will punch all of those nurses and doctor in the face right now. Unbelievable!!!! That gorgeous baby was well worth it though. :)
With all of my kids they have given me an epidural at like 4 cm. I'm a huge baby with NO pain tolerance and I go to the hospital WAY too early. When I get preg again and have the next one, I might try to wait it out...I doubt it though!
Loved hearing your experience with Miss Eliza. All mine have been quite different as they all ended up in c-sections, however, with the size and quantity of each birth, that method was definitely the best for me.
Anyway, awesome documentation of the whole birthing experience! :)
Happy birthday, Eliza! I was thinking about you yesterday...who could forget a Halloween baby? :o)
Jeannette!
Can you believe hospital staff sometimes? Geez... But glad lil' E is here! Happy belated to her!
Oh man, what we go through to bring the sweet little babies into the world! This brings back memories that I had been suppressing and gets me nervous for 8 weeks ahead when I will be doing it all over again!
Post a Comment