One of my friends in New York had her baby shower this past weekend, so I packed Isaac and myself up and headed to N.Y. We found a really good, cheap deal on a plane ticket, so we ventured that way of transportation once again. I should really look into getting Isaac a SkyMiles card. Anyway, note to self...traveling becomes more difficult as your child gets older. I am SURE many of you moms are saying, "Duh!" to that one. It's not until I go through the process that I finally have these realizations. Not that Isaac was naughty, but all of those wonderful naps he took on the other trips turned into 30-45
minutes sessions of holding him up in front of me while he bounced on my lap as if I was the human "Johnny Jump Up." Never underestimate the workout regime a mother has each day! I think I formed new biceps just from entertaining Isaac this way!
Which brings me to one of the "BAD" moments. I sat next to a very interesting guy from Peru who was here for the Chicago Marathon, his 11th marathon to date. I wish I had an hour to talk to him but he mainly slept the entire way. And yes, he violated Rule #421 in the Jeannette Neal Handbook which was "thou shalt not taketh upeth both arm rests when there is a mother with a child on her lapeth and might needeth every extra
inch possibleth." Nice guy, but seriously needed to choose which arm rest he wanted so I could have the other. With that going on, the lady in front of me proceeds to put her seat back ALL of the way. I didn't even have enough room to cross my legs let alone reach down to grab anything from the exploding diaper bag. Come on people! Then again, I give her props for being so rude. If you're going to be rude, be rude 100%. On my other flight, the guy in front of me looked back at me about 15 times...nooooo joke, as if telling me, "I want to put my seat back, but you're in the way." Finally on the 15th time I said in a nice voice, "Sir, you can put your seat back if you'd like. We're fine." In reply, "Ummmm, well, mmmm, I better not." You got your chance.
Which brings me to another bad (I promise there were SEVERAL "GOODS" from this trip.) After a good portion of the day eaten up from traveling, lo and behold I get down to the luggage claim and my luggage wasn't there. My mom and I went home empty handed, but luckily I had Isaac's car seat and base. They ended up bringing my luggage around midnight that night. Isaac slept in a really funky mismatchy outfit that night.
So for the good...My sister Livy is graduating this year from High School. Waaa! I can't stand that little Livy is now all grown up and actually really fun to talk with. :) I feel like I should still be rocking her to sleep or playing with her out on the swing set. I've always been away during her volleyball season, so during this trip I was able to see her play! And she's REALLY good! Great consistent server, and an awesome hitter. It was so fun to watch her play. I made Isaac a onesie with Fabric Markers that had Livy's number on it. Needless to say, Little Ike was the main attraction to the grannies in the stand and to Livy's teammates:)
Another "GOOD" came on my flight home. Isaac once again was well behaved, but did not want to sleep. I was sitting next to a
lady who looked like she was about 90 years old. So cute. She called the plane a "buggy" several times in conversation which I thought was hilarious. Isaac started to get a little fussy (it was nearing his bedtime) so she pulls out a harmonica from her purse and plays cute little songs for the next 40 minutes. Isaac sat in my
lap looking at her (probably he was looking more at the harmonica, like, "Let me eat that thing!") for the ENTIRE time, smiling at her in between her "Pop goes the Weasel" and "Hickory Dickory Dock." I thought to myself, "having Isaac is such a blessing, because people really do show their good sides and their talented sides." I hope that makes sense. I'm sure the lady would have never pulled out her Harmonica if it was just me sitting there! People are so sweet with children.
So, the flying was over and now it was just time to get my bags down at the Luggage Claim which brings me to the last BAD of the evening. Once again, no luggage. Is there a curse happening here? I was so exhausted at that point I didn't even care. I went and talked with the agent and they said they'd be there on the next flight and that someone would bring them to our aparment.
Ahh, our apartment. "GOOD" Being home with Sean, "GOOD." Seeing Isaac's face light up when he saw Sean, "GOOD." Falling asleep in fresh sheets in a matter of 5 seconds, "GOOD."
4 comments:
What a cute picture!!! Livy was so surprised. I am sure she had not thought you'd do that. Good thinking.
You are so funny, as usual. I hope I meet the lady with the harmonica on a future flight. By the way, when they get one and half or 5 traveling on an airplane is torture, but you know it will end eventually. Either with reaching the destination or death, that's how torture works. The whole security thing was also a pain. We had a nice guy on a flight, who when Isaac threw a jolly rancher in the air and it landed in his pocket, he just took it out and ate it. Now that's a good sport! Changing a diaper in those little restrooms is like Tommy Boy trying to get dressed in one of those things. You're lucky if you don't come out looking like a mummy wrapped in toilet paper.
What a fun story! I loved hearing about harmonica lady. How many people gave her dirtier looks than the ones they give to the crying babies? Your baby is very cute. If you lived closer he and Davis could be friends. Eric's Mama
Ohhh, I'm so scared now! I'm going to be flying with Jaden, Daven and Calet BY MYSELF! I'm already having nightmares and it is still October.
Free entertainment for the kiddo. Can't beat that. Even if it was a harmonica!
Post a Comment