Monday, November 19, 2007

DETROIT IS #1!


I'm not talking about sports or anything of the sort, but I'd like to announce that Detroit has taken over the #1 spot (from Camden N.J.) for the most dangerous city in the United States. And just to make it even better...Flint, MI came in 3rd. Isn't that just heart warming?
I'll never forget an experience I had with some of the kids I taught at church when Sean and I were living in Grand Blanc, an affluent neighboring city of Flint. We were doing a little service project one night and brought some cookies around to some of the local police/fire stations. My group was assigned to bring ours up to some stations in Flint...downtown Flint. It's a good thing my group of kids had a sense of humor. One of them said, "Why is the song 'Thriller' going through my head right now?" Exactly. What's even more scary is that our good deed was overshadowed by the concerned faces from the firemen as we gave them their cookies. "You really really shouldn't be here right now. Make sure you get back in your car as quickly as you can." We even had a kind lady escort us to the last fire station we had to go to because she didn't want to chance us getting lost. Hmmm......interesting :) 'Thriller' really was our theme song for the night!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! I love it!! I remember the stray cat that scared us too...but on a more serious note, I think I'll be staying out of Flint and Detroit!

Carrie said...

Kevin and I went to Flint to see a show and drove around the city a touch before it began. It was so sad to see an IRS on every street corner. Flint, Detroit, Rochester, ect. all show how things go down the tubes when manufactures and companies go over seas. Imagine how different life would be if the US provided secure job like they used to; efficiency rather than amount of productivity! So sad...

Jeff and Larissa said...

I'm SO glad you reminded me of this!!! I take full responsibility. :) They were talking about this list of "most dangerous cities" on the news today, and it make me laugh. I sure miss D-Town!

Brynn said...

That is so funny! Yeah, I'm way proud of our Motor City as well! :)

Becky said...

Doesn't that just make you sick!? That job Chris interviewed for is located in Auburn Hills, which is between Detroit and Flint, aaahhh! A very bad sandwich!

Kelli said...

Cory and I saw this and couldn't believe it! Okay, to clarify we could, but it's scary knowing you live so close to bad and even worse!

Judaloo said...

I must say...I go to school at U of M-Flint--right downtown! Most of the time I feel super safe, but there have been a few times when I question why they chose the downtown area for the campus! During the day it is a fairly safe area, but at night--watch out!!

Where are you guys going for your rotations?