Thursday, October 23, 2008

Maybe you can help!

I always have a million things rolling around in my mind, so here's two of them. I'm looking for a really GOOD laundry detergent that keeps clothes feeling how they should feel, but most importantly keeps the colors as radiant as it looked the day I bought them. I know that's almost impossible, especially with Isaac's clothes, but a lot of my black clothes are starting to have that worn look to it when some of them are not even a year old. FYI, I currently use Tide.

It doesn't help that our water isn't that great. I spent a solid month trying to figure out what was wrong with my dishwater (remember this, Em?) when during a conversation with our neighbor, realized that it was the city's water.

Also, I'm looking for a really good recipe for Sweet Potatoes. Every year we have the typical Yams at Thanksgiving, but I'm hoping to WOW everyone with a great twist on Sweet Potatoes that would knock their socks off. I had a mashed sweet potato casserole once that had all of this great stuff (pecans, marshmallows and brown sugar) sprinkled all over the top. If you've been to our Thanksgiving meals, you'd know that it is like a life-time achievement award to have your dish put out, and LOVED by everyone. We're a tough, critical crowd to please:) (You haven't seen a real Thanksgiving feast until you've seen the Masino-Sandroni Italian Feast!)
Thanks a ton! If you'd rather e-mail a recipe to me, you should all have my e-mail address, I hope:)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can make them just like you make baked potatoes. I had them at a dinner and they were plain and simple with butter on them. Wrap with foil. Yum!!!! Love mom

Welch Mom said...

I have a sweet potato casserole recipe I will e-mail it to you! It is requested by many! As for the detergent. Have you ever tried Woolite? I have not, but know that they have one specifically for black clothes so they do not fade. I wear a lot of black.

Livingstons said...

Clorox for colors added to any detergent (I use Kirkland Sig version of Free and Clear). It has helped our clothes a lot. And buy a soft water system... and a front load high efficiency washer... and a maid.

Natalie said...

I haven't found a detergent or a method that keeps my clothes bright, but I do perform a massive dying of all my solid black, brown and navy blue items twice or thrice a year (isn't it sad that I hold on to my clothes long enough to this?!). I just use Rit dye and a big Rubbermaid tub. It keeps them looking good as new. As for the sweet potato recipe, I saw on Good Eats that you can steam them for optimal texture/flavor (cut into cubes, steam for 20 mins., then mash). I'm not too good in the topping department, but I'll email you a recipe if I get a chance today.

Becky said...

If you'd like to get those darks looking even more dark and dangerous, try Woolight Dark (I'm breathing like Darth Vader right now). As for sweet potatoes, I haven't tried this, but here's one and it's from this awesome site I love, so good luck!
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/pw-sweet-potatoes.pdf

Mellissa said...

I can't help you with detergent needs, seeing as we have clothing problems in our house: keeping them on, keeping them clean, and keeping them from smelling like everything that comes out of kids!:) Anyway, I love sweet potatoes and came across a SUPER EASY and AWESOME recipe. Cut potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes. Put them on a cookie sheet. Lightly coat with olive oil and sprinkle with two pitches of oregano. Toss with fingers to coat and bake at 350 until tender. They are SO yummy! I guess you could top with sour cream if you wanted.