Thursday, January 08, 2009

DAY 5 in Paradise...

Day 5 could have been summed up using just one word: shark. Blah....it sends chills down my spine! Remember how I said I am afraid of open water because of sharks? Yeah, that is the exact reason why you won't find me in any of these pictures:) Sean, his Dad, Aaron, Bry and Carrie all ventured out on the North Shore to "swim" with sharks. Their guide took them out a ways in the ocean, and then had them get into the cage to go down in the water. Ugh. I think Sean said they then fed the sharks so that after just a few minutes, 20-30 sharks were swarming around the cage. They all had such a blast. Sean said it was his favorite activity from the trip.

While they were doing that, the rest of us were making our way up to Hale'iva to meet them, which is close to the North Shore. We stopped at a beach to see if it was somewhere we could boogie board and hangout, but we somehow managed to stop right at "Pipeline" where they do the World Surfing Competitions. Needless to say, the waves were just a wee bit bigger than we wanted for some innocent boogie boarding. Yikes. We did find some cool shells there, though!

We met up with the rest of the gang and had lunch at "Cholos," a Mexican restaurant in Haleiva. It was really good! After lunch, we shopped around a bit, and then half of us headed to Shark's cove while the rest headed back to the house. I was able to stay with the group who went to Shark's cove, which was really really fun. I had to make sure the name of the cove didn't mean that sharks resided there, and once I realized it was pretty safe, we snorkeled. We saw some huge fish, including a large black and white eel all twisted up in a hole with just his head and a bit of the body showing. Yikes. Stay clear of that thing!

After that, we went back home to start making dinner. We started getting a huge rainstorm, which then turned into a lightning storm (which is really rare for Hawaii.) Before we knew it, all of the power was out in the house. Not only at the house, but we later learned that the electricity went out completely on the island. You couldn't go anywhere. Kinda spooky! We were without power for the remainder of the night and throughout the following morning. In fact, by the time we packed up the house to leave, it still wasn't on! Many islanders said that was the first time they've had a storm like that in over 10 years.

Anyway, here are some pictures:

I wouldn't be giving a thumbs up if I was in that cage:) Here's Sean having a blast!
Photobucket