Friday, April 10, 2009

You know you're from Michigan (or at least have lived here) when...

OK, I found this list on facebook, and I laughed my head off. These are SOO true. Sean and I learned quickly that we were devil-people for driving two foreign cars. If you think of any to add, put them in the comments section. I might think of a few over the next few days:)


You Know You're From Michigan When...(In honor of the Tigers..)*You know you're from Michigan if you know why to be amazed that the Tigers are actually in the World Series*
*You define summer as three months of bad sledding.
*You think Alkaline batteries were named for a Tiger outfielder.
*You can identify an Ohio accent.
*Your idea of a seven-course meal is a six pack and a bucket of smelt. (I have no clue what smelt is?? Do I want to know?!?)
*If during the summer there are more out of town plates than Michigan plates.
*Owning a Japanese car is a hanging offense in your hometown.
*You know how to play (and pronounce) Euchre.
*The Big Mac is something that you drive across.
*You believe that "down south" means Toledo.
*You bake with soda and drink pop.
*You drive 75 on the highway and you pass on the right.
*Your Little League baseball game was snowed out.
*You learned how to drive a boat before you learned how to ride a bike.
*You know how to pronounce "Mackinac".
*The word "thumb" has a geographical rather than an anatomical significance.
*You have experienced frostbite and sunburn in the same week.
*You expect Vernor's when you order ginger ale.- I LOVE Vernor's! Never heard of it til MI.
*You know that Kalamazoo not only exists, but that it isn't far from Hell.
*Your favorite holidays are Christmas, Thanksgiving, the opening of deer season and Devil's Night.
*Your snowmobile, lawn mower and fishing boat all have big block Chevy engines.
*At least one person in your family disowns you for the week of the Michigan/Michigan State football game.
*You know what a millage is.
*Traveling coast to coast means driving from Port Huron to Muskegon.
*Half the change in your pocket is Canadian, eh.
*You show people where you grew up by pointing to a spot on your left hand.
*You know what a "Yooper" is.
*Your car rusts out before you need the brakes done
*Half the people you know say they are from Detroit... yet you don't personally know anyone who actually lives in Detroit
*"Up North" means north of Clare.
*You know what a pastie is.
*You occasionally cheer "Go Lions- and take the Tigers with you."
*Snow tires come standard on all your cars.
*At least 25% of your relatives work for the auto industry. -This is a lie. More like 50%
*You don't understand what the big deal about Chicago is.
*Octopus and hockey go together as naturally as hot dogs and baseball.
*You know more about chill factors and lake effect than you'd EVER like to know!
*Your snowblower has more miles on it than your car.
*Shoveling the driveway constitutes a great upper body workout.
*When giving directions, you refer to "A Michigan Left." aka Michigan U-Turn
*You know when it has rained because of the smell of worms.
*You never watch the Weather Channel - you can just assume they're wrong. -SOOO TRUE!!
*The snowmen you make in your front yard actually freeze. Solid.
*The snow freezes so hard that you can actually walk across it and not break it or leave any marks.
*All your shoes are called "tennis shoes", even though no one here plays tennis anyway.
*Your major school field trip includes camping and cross-country skiing.
*Half your friends have a perfect sledding hill right in their own backyard.
* when your relatives call you a troll because you live "under" the bridge.
*You know you're from Michigan when your idea of a family vacation is going to Cedar Point
*You know you're from Michigan when going to the "party store" isnt to buy balloons. It's to buy beer.
*You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends from Michigan.

8 comments:

Kelli Bramble said...

haha!! Love this.

Carrie said...

You know that the sand you are walking through is barking and it isn't the burrito that you had for lunch making that noise.

Rebecca said...

I loved it and even though I have only lived here for two yrs. I got a lot of them!
Thanks for sharing.

Allery said...

those were funny AND true!! Another thing I had never herd of till we moved here were perogies and punczkis to be eaten on Fat Tuesday!(not sure if I spelled that right)

Allery said...

oops, realized I spelled heard wrong!! :)

Sean and Jeannette said...

We've also never seen pot holes this big before Michigan. Literally 20 feet after the huge holes, you'd see a car on the side of the road with a tire blown out. I'm not kidding. Lansing had the worst potholes!!

Carrie, I totally forgot about squeaky sand!

Natalie said...

That is too funny! I made pasties the other night for dinner and it made me kind of miss Michigan. :)

Bill Leppert said...

Funny List!!! And I think "smelt" is a type of fish.