Sunday, March 13, 2011

too many shoes

There came a point when my parents' house had too many shoes. In my opinion, it was a household hazard, as you sometimes would trip over these shoes, or have to dig for the match. I'm talking about the "shoe zone" that happens at the entrance to any house. In our family's case, there are 2 parents, 6 kids, 4 of which are married, and 7 grandchildren. Add that up, and you have the mecca of all tripping zones.

But to my mom, this zone has always been a happy zone, because to her the more the shoes, the more of her family was home. Except for my brother who is a Senior in High School, we have all left home and started lives of our own. The shoes remind mom of happy memories, and a house full of way too much laughing, teasing, Sound of Music sing-offs, piano playing, babies crying, and someone upset because sister-who-shall-not-be-named wore another sister's shirt to school without asking.

I wouldn't say I'm to the point of enjoying the "shoe zone." I know someday I will miss the trails of toys, the arms constantly reaching up for me to hold she-who-shall-not-be-named, the nightly puppet shows, the kid forks, and oh so much more.

Case in point, I try to make sure my kids' faces are relatively clean before snapping some pictures. But then again, how can I resist this?
Photobucket

I would love to think my table always looks like this
Photobucket

But often times, it seems by the end of the day I'm staring at this
Photobucket

and when I hop in the shower, I would like to think it looks like this
Photobucket

when at times, it looks like this
Photobucket

But when I see faces like these
Photobucket

and these
Photobucket

and baths like this
Photobucket

and this
Photobucket

I can't help but thank my lucky stars for the ongoing trails I see each and everyday.

2 comments:

Jess, Andrew and Family said...

Ok, if I didn't see Eliza in the 2nd picture of your dining room I would have thought you took that pictures from a magazine! It is so beautiful!!! I NEED you to come help me decorate my home when we move back to Maryland!!! If not, then I want you to send me pictures of your house so I can just copy what you have done. Again, you blow me away with your eye!

Fran said...

I just want to let you know that I have now viewed your blog all the way back to your 600th post :) I will try to be more consistent, sister! Love all the pictures...had fun this weekend but can't wait for all the fun in NC (long car rides and all!)