Wednesday, June 22, 2011

ode to rhubarb

Just recently, a couple of my friends and I decided to support a local farm by participating in their fruit share co-op. Each week, we take turns to go out to the farm in Macedon (G and S Orchards...seriously, best fruit picking in this area, and hardly anyone knows about it) and pick up the fruit. This week was fresh strawberries and rhubarb.

Don't get me started about the strawberries.

OK, never mind...I can't resist talking about them. You know the ones you normally get in the store that look waxy, questionably large (steroid injection?? :) ) , don't have any aroma to them and have large white cores? You can forget all of that with home grown strawberries. Just from the car ride back from the farm, my car smelled delicious. Which is a rarity, seeing that it all too often smells like sweaty boy or poopy girl. And the best part is when you slice into them...there is no white core. JUST PURE JUICY RED SUCCULENT STRAWBERRY.

*These pictures are straight from my camera. They smile so pretty for the camera that no touch ups were required. :)

I need to calm down.

Anyway, the question always comes up as to how to prepare rhubarb. We have 4 wonderful rhubarb plants in our backyard and I have been freezing as much as I can (seeing that we have been travelling a ton.) It's such a straaaange plant, and it's not like I can go back in that yard, pluck off a stem and eat it raw. Sick.


Here are a few recipes I'm dying to try!

These two are both from {The Pioneer Woman} <-click on this link and it will bring you directly to the recipe. This one is a cobbler. Put the word cobbler with just about anything- peach cobbler, blueberry cobbler, shoe cobbler, etc. and you can guarantee it's will be good.


This one is on The Pioneer Woman's website, but she got it from Smitten Kitchen. Can I tell you how much I absolutely love that site? I get so many of my recipes from there, and they are always delicious. Click {here } for the recipe.

Note: This is the one recipe I have actually tried out myself. It was divine. And the best part was the big crumble pieces you put on top! Serve it warm with vanilla ice cream. Mmmmmmmm.



This next one is also from The Smitten Kitchen, and it will link you straight to the {site}. These look like something the kids and I can throw in our bag when out and about at playgrounds and such.



This final one is such a great idea! I have a ton of mason jars sitting around just praying to the canning gods that someday I will get around to canning. The website is yet another favorite of mine. She (Heather Cristo) is an awesome cook. Here is the link to this {recipe}.






One last website that I don't have a rhubarb recipe copied from yet is the site http://www.melskitchencafe.com/ By far, I love her recipes the most. I don't even know her, but I love her. Creepy, I know. Check out her stuff sometime. Anyway, time to go put Eliza down for a nap, and get cracking on one of these recipes. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I LOVE rhubarb. Yummy recipes. I will happily take some of of that rhubarb from your 4 plants. :)

Anne said...

In case you have extra rhubarb and time, here are some recipes I found that looked good.
http://www.mrswheelbarrow.com/2011/06/rhubarb-six-ways-from-sunday/