Sunday, August 21, 2011

why didn't I do this trip sooner?

Meet Julie.



Let me tell you about this Julie. She dedicates her life in service to the less fortunate. She inspires children, she inspires her co-workers, she inspires her community to make a difference. No, really, she does. I saw it first hand while visiting *this Julie* in NC just recently, when an older gentleman pulled Julie aside while stopping in to show me her facility, and told her that he wanted to anonimously donate a large sum of money to an autistic boy that came to her summer camp. It was evident this boy was in need of clothes, and a pair of shoes that weren't split at the front. I choked back tears, silently listening to their conversation.

This is what Julie does every single day of her life. She watches miracles happen before her eyes, and she builds a bigger and brighter future for those she watches over. She recently received a larger than life donation to expand her camp and to create an ampitheater, more sports field, and a larger area for kids to create and play. She envisioned the entire project, and I got to see the construction site moving along.

Julie so happens to be my closest friend. We met some 13 years at college, and she has remained my rock ever since. The-laugh-that-hardly-ever-surfaces comes out almost instantly when I'm around her. I feel like I'm most free to be myself when I'm around her, and we hold nothing back from our friendship.

Ever since I had Isaac though, Julie has always come to visit me, wherever we live. My kids call her "Auntie Jules" and they often love her more than me when she comes to town. I jumped on the opportunity of a cheap flight, thanked my husband for watching the kids so willingly, and finally headed to see where Julie had made her life in NC.

I decided on making this strictly a camera phone trip. I didn't want my big camera interfering with anything, so I gladly left it at home.


Monet (on the left) asked if I knew of the "Dougie" dance. Overjoyed that I didn't, and excited that I could add this to my list of dance moves, she demonstrated with the highest form, the dougie dance.

I love Reese Witherspoon's line in "Sweet Home Alabama" when she says people should have to have a passport to come to the South. It IS a totally different place. The people are very friendly, and the drivers are WAY TOO NICE. Julie let in about 15 cars on our way out of the parking lot from the Rascal Flatts concert. Seriously?? New York does not do this sort of kindness.

We ate out at a quaint cafe in town, and headed off to get a pedicure...

Julie got us tickets to see Rascal Flatts, whom I love. I liked them even more in concert! I was reminded at why having lawn tickets is the most...um...er...interesting place to sit.

we had a lot of spare time on our hands on the way to the concert. A lot of stop and go traffic, so we took advantage of the time and took pictures...

The following day we headed over to Asheville, NC. I was beyond excited to see the Biltmore Estate built by the Vanderbilts. It was unreal. One of the most interesting and beautiful landmarks I've ever visited. If you are ever in the area, go see it! And definitely walk the town. It is by far one of the prettiest towns.

The Blue Ridge mountains in the distance

It was about 103 degrees the day we visited the Estate, but we still managed to walk a large part of the gardens. The grounds were amazing.










As much as I adore my children, it was particularly nice to see empty high chairs at dinner. And the food was delicious.



Hand Hug



Julie is the best. The end.

No comments: