Friday, September 28, 2007

To Everything Turn, Turn, Turn

















Summer Salads have been replaced by yummy stews. Evening walks have been pushed up an hour because of the invading night sky. Pesky insects have somehow gone away (where do they go?) Road kill is becoming plentiful along the country roads...yuck. Leaves are changing everywhere! The "Indian Summer" season is well under way here in Michigan. In my opinion, this is the most beautiful time of year. So much so, that I wanted to get married during it so I could have the colorful leaves as a part of the backdrop.

So what else is changing around here? Here's a few things that have developed:
- Separation anxiety. Although this is very cute in certain ways, Isaac has mastered the worrisome "ehhhh" cry when I'm not around. With me being the one whom he sees for the majority of the day, it's no wonder that babies develop this hmmmmm...trait?? My little man is getting smarter and smarter and all we can do is smile with his changing ways. He continues to sport the cutest pout a person could ever see. His recent favorite things:
-A damp washcloth (obviously to gnaw on)
-Anything he can grab (he especially likes the feel of paper and loves to crumple it)
-Walks, walks walks-and I am so grateful for this because I love walking too!
-Flipping over in his crib (this is where his smartness comes in...'If I flip over, mommy or daddy will have to come back in to flip me back over.' This will be ending...shortly
-Leaves. As you can see in the picture, he likes to taste test everything that is put in his hand. I guess the leaf passed the test.
-Watching Sports Center with Dad. Sean calls this their bonding time. Ah huh.
-Scratching mom and dad's arms. No matter how short we cut his nails, they still feel like knife blades ripping into the skin (picture Wolverine from X-men.) I've sported some pretty good cut marks from his flailing arms and razor sharp nails.
-The blow dryer. After his bath we always wrap him up like a burrito and then turn the blow dryer on to warm him up.
-Books. Not necessarily to read, but to eat.
-Flirting. Although I regret to inform all of the girly babies out there that Isaac will not be dating until he's 23, he's allowed to flirt with me, Sean and anyone else above the age of 20.


Here are a few of my favorite things:

-Sleep
-My camera (a good user-friendly camera is a must!)
-Working on this blog. Although I'm not very good at it, it's become a hobby of mine. For what it's worth, I hope you are enjoying it. I ultimately do it for you;) wink.
-Sleep
-Country roads, especially the back roads to MSU campus (minus the roadkill)
-"The Office" Isn't it great Pam and Jim are finally together? And how about Dwight putting Sprinkles out of its misery. Classic.
-Sleep
-My super cool friends. They break up the more monotonous days and give me someone to talk to (or hang out with) who doesn't drool and babble:)
-Good books. I'm currently reading 3 books. I really shouldn't do this. This could be lethal to a tired brain.
-A short line in the grocery store. Need I say more.
-Puzzles. Minimum count is 1000. The problem is you have to sacrifice that space until the puzzle is finished, so it makes me work fast.
-An intense game of Scrabble-Masino style: Forgot going to the gym, you can burn 257 calories from such a game.
-Time with Sean and Isaac-my favorite of them all!

I would offer to give Sean's list of favorite thing, but I'm pretty sure it consists of anything and everything besides 500-page textbooks. If life could be full of football, and time with the fam, I think Sean would be set. :)

Things change everyday, and this is what I love about being a mom. Life is never dull with a 5 month old. As for Sean and I-the overly-tired, semi-delusional human beings, we continue to truck along with Med School. We often play the game "If you could be anywhere right now, where would you be?..." not because we're not enjoying Med School but because we wish for a nice break. Our answers range from Hawaii to a cabin out in the boonies. It always depends on the day. Today I'm feeling like Seattle, tomorrow perhaps England.

And then there are things that don't change- the color of Isaac's dark brown eyes, his happy demeanor, our lovely "mawage" (marriage for those who don't speak Princess Bride) and so much more!

8 comments:

Livingstons said...

Ditto on the sleep! I never thought I would say this, but if someone offered to take me on a shopping spree or let me sleep in, it would be sleep all the way.

Melisa said...

I had no idea you were such a good photographer! Do you do family pictures? Those pictures are great!

And not that I'm an expert, but things do get better with medical school. They always told me while we were in school, "It doesn't get any better so start enjoying the now." They lied. It gets better. :) Just thought you should know. Not that I'm all that further along than you...

And thanks for quoting my favorite movie. That brightened my day. And what a day it has been. Of course, how can I complain when I haven't been peed on at all today?

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures Netti!! AND the music, I heard The Byrds sing that live back in the days :) Keep the pictures coming and see you soon :)Mom

Jeff and Larissa said...

These pictures are really beautiful! Sounds like Isaac and Beck enjoy many of the same things! I TOTALLY agree about the finger nails. :)

Judaloo said...

Hi Sean and Jeannette! I just discovered your blog through Allerys and I love it! You are so creative! Your little guy is adorable, and it is so fun to read things he is doing that are so similar to my own little girl. Isn't being a Mom the BEST?!

And on the sleep thing--oh, how I wish for 8 complete hours. Even when Jacie sleeps for 6-7 hours at a time, I still wake up wondering if she is OK. I wonder...will that ever end?

Really, reading your blog today lifted me up so much. I get so bogged down with school (after this semester, one more to go!) and other stuff, but this was so awesome to read--so many of your feelings about being a Mom parallel my own. Gotta love it! Can I link you to my blog?

Judy Leonard

Kelli said...

You have been busy on your blog! It looks really great! Such cute pictures of the little guy!

Becky said...

You are so funny! I used to love doing puzzles but my boys kept getting bigger and the puzzles started getting destroyed. I still do puzzles, but the theme is usually Elmo or Dora the Explorer and there are only 24 pieces. We also have this cool floor puzzle of space and planets.

Poor Sprinkles...

Alicia Leppert said...

Hey Sean and Jeannette, it's Bill's wife, Alicia. Bill checks your blog all the time but I just finally did...I love it! Isaac is gorgeous and you take beautiful pictures. Your blog is so fun, I love what you've done to it! Hope you don't mind me checking in...