Friday, January 18, 2008

In Regard to the Dumbo segment...

**Before reading this post, you HAVE to watch the Dumbo clip that I posted off to the right.** With Valentine's coming up I was thinking about the classic movies that make you want to curl up on the couch with a bowl of popcorn and watch over and over again. Pride and Prejudice, Return to Me, Sleepless in Seattle....sigh. (I know...any guy reading this is probably gagging right now, Sean included.) :) But I was drawn to my all-time favorite movie clip, which was the first movie that ever made me cry. (The first book that ever made me cry was "Where the Red Fern grows.")I was about 6 years old when I cried while watching this part of Dumbo. To me at that moment in time, I was sad for baby Dumbo who couldn't see his mom. I related to him, thinking of what it would feel like if I couldn't see my mom.

I wondered how I'd react if I watched this movie now. I haven't seen it in over a decade. All of these years I almost refused to watch it because I knew that it would make me blubber, with or without other people in the room. The "Ugly Cry" is what I like to call it. So, I watched it again (Sean not being home) and I cried and cried and cried. Oh, what a special moment! Please tell me I'm not the only one who doesn't cry like a baby when I watch this????? Sooooo sweet.

5 comments:

Brynn said...

Actually, if I just hear this song, it puts the tear glands in hyperactive mode. There is a really great version by Alison Kraus that I used when I made a DVD slideshow of Joseph's newborn hospital/first home pics. And now after watching that clip, it made me want to go and wake Joseph up from his nap and just kiss his little face off. Thanks.

Jeff and Larissa said...

This is really funny that you mentioned this. Remember Desiree from GB? I happened to mention this video moment to her once and she broke down. It was while she was pregnant, but still...

Melisa said...

Oh wow. I haven't seen that in decades. I remember thinking it was sad, but life has a whole new perspective once you are a parent. Now, after seeing it from the mom's point of view, it is heartbreaking! I could help but cry. Poor little baby! I was reading a blog yesterday of a mom who lost her 4 yr old that day to cancer. I just bawled and bawled.

Anonymous said...

Poor Dumbo sent me into Ugly Cry in about 30 seconds, no lie! Disney movies just do that to me. I can't watch Fox and the Hound anymore

Becky said...

You are a very sensitive person to be crying at age 6 while watching Dumbo. I always cry reading that children's book I Love you Forever (I think that's what it's called). Reed and Douglas always look at me weird when I do this. I agree with your selection of Valentine's movies. We just watched Return to Me and both Chris and I cry when his wife dies (don't tell Chris I told you that, grunt...).