Saturday, May 24, 2008

Rekindling an old love of mine...

Warning: This is a very random post. Read if you dare.

No, it wasn't a Cafe Rio Salad that was the "old love", nor was it an old shirt from High School that is now transparent which I thought I had lost forever, or the secret crush we all have (admit it!) on Edward from the Twilight Series. It was the pure satisfaction and joy that comes with having as much time as I wanted to shop....for myself. Does anyone else get into the rut of wanting to shop for themselves, but because you have a fanny pack a.k.a. your child, throwing things out of his stroller (star puffs...and not realizing it 'til I crunched over the lot of them) you end up shopping for either your spouse or the baby? They're easy to shop for, plus it's not like they have baby fitting rooms. That would be bizarre.

So after a looooong week of mainly being on my own while Sean studied, he said that he'd watch Isaac for as long as I wanted (don't tempt me) so I could go do whatever I wanted (don't tempt me.) :) Life long goals flashed before my eyes of what I could be doing during my moment of freedom, but ultimately I fell back on a love I've neglected for way too long: Shopping. By the way, Sean is a pure gem of a guy. He seriously is the best husband ever!

Now if any of you are lucky enough (I say this sarcastically) to have husbands who say "I'll just wait out on the bench" when you're shopping, you know that a Shopping Experience can quickly go sour due to a husband who doesn't mind to "wait out on the bench", but you always have the sense of someone waiting for you. It's like that show "Supermarket sweep" where the people go nuts trying to fit the humongous jars of mayonnaise or diapers in the cart and people yelling "10...9...8...7..."

So I headed to Auburn Hills which is about an 1-1/2 hours away from here to hit up the most ginormous "Forever 21" store I have EVER been to, as well as my long lost love of H&M. I had the intentions of walking around the entire mall, but after spending one hour in Forever 21 (only to buy 3 things!! Their return policy STINKS so I'm always very picky when it comes to buying things from this store) and about an hour in H&M (had to check out the boy clothes too!) I was feeling kind of overstimulated by the number of clothes I had looked through. Luckily, H&M came up big for me and I headed to the car with 3 good sized bags:) Ahhhhhh. Heaven.

And may I just talk about the clothing trends for women? I'm really not liking what has been on the shelves for the past year. About 3 or 4 months after having Isaac, I mustered enough courage to head back into the stores that I had normally shopped at, pre-pregnancy, only to find that the "in" things are leggings and big billowy, poofy, shirts. Seriously?? The last thing I want to wear is a billowy poofy shirt after wearing a bunch of billowy poofy pregnancy shirts! Is anyone finding fashion this way besides myself? So, I usually have to by-pass the front racks and head to the normal people racks for women who don't sport the body of a 12 year old boy. And leggings with lace around the bottom??!?! I should have just kept my pair from 7th grade. Some fashion eras are bound to cycle back through, but the 80's and 90's should be forbidden. Forbidden.

I honestly think I smiled the entire way home. Shopping can really rejuvenate the soul, eh?

3 comments:

Welch Mom said...

Thought I would copy an old post of mine and let you read it so you could laugh about it!

Friday, August 31, 2007
Title: Whose in Style?


Robb and I were supposed to go on a date the other night to watch a moonlight movie in a park. It was Ferris Bueller's day off and they were going to have pizza and ice cream Sounds fun, right? Well we had a severe thunderstorm watch and some lighting so we were pretty sure it was cancelled. Bummer! So we decided to go shopping(my idea) for shoes and leggings. You see, I need some shoes for working(shooting weddings all day)that were stylish and comfortable. I also bought a dress that was stretchy and had a belt and thought I might need some leggings to feel more comfortable working in a dress. We were in GAP and I saw some pants for Robb which he said maybe he liked, but would not try on. I was a little frustrated because he never wants to try things on. He says to me "please do me a favor and not try to be hip when you get older." I asked him what he meant and said "so you want me to dress like an old lady?" No he said "just do not try to wear what the young girls wear as you get older." So I ask "what am I supposed to look like?" He replies "just classy." I said "o.k., well it would not hurt for you to try to be in style more." He said "I do not want to be in style and I will never be hip." I said "you could at least try to update your look and be stylish." I mentioned something about being stuck in the late 80's and 90's. He came back at me and said "I am not the one that is buying leggings." I then paused and then could not contain my laughter and we laughed out loud together. Guess what, I decided to take the leggings and dress back the next day!
Posted by Welch Mom at 5:03 AM 4 comments

Natalie said...

YES! Shopping does rejuvenate the soul and I'm thrilled you got to go on a spree for yourself. You deserve it. :) I share your disdain for the style recyle that is happening. Those leggins (in any fabric) and poofy tops are hideous. I love this post because it's 100% accurate in describing the feelings of every woman I know.

Becky said...

Ya know,I kind of get Shop-Shock (kind of like shell shock) after I spend a bunch of money, but I fully recover once I get home, empty those bags and enjoy my purchases. The experience of shopping has gotten a new meaning since having kids. It can be pure Hell if I have the kids with me or the most heavenly Heaven without them. Though, when I find myself in this heaven I have what some have described as phantom pains, like when someone has lost a limb. But for me, it's the phantom pain of a child that should be running down the aisles or hiding in the cloths racks. I really shouldn't call it a "pain", more like a Phantom Pleasure,"ahhh...no child, that was someone else's child running down that aisle, I'm so glad Chris is watching them..." It's almost a giddy feeling, shopping by oneself and for oneself. Even better if the cloths fit :)