Wednesday, January 28, 2009

WINTER WEATHER...

So, I have an idea brewing, which includes making a set of coats like these. It has snowed so much in Michigan this winter, that I'm about ready to just try out being an Eskimo and building an igloo and wearing a coat like this. Why not? It's THAT cold here. Now people might say, "Oh, I know how you feel!" but I only accept such comments from those who have lived in such sub-zero temperatures places that deal with humidity and lake effect snow. You might think humidity only has something to do with warm weather and making you feel sticky ALL THE TIME, but it makes a huge difference with winter weather as well. It's called: "chilled-to-the-bone." It's where you feel your insides shiver and actually feel your eyes freezing in place. It's where you have to scrape the inside of your car windows as well as the outside. It's where you learn to hold your breath long enough from the time you get out of your car and into a store so you don't have to feel icicles piercing your lungs. The list goes on and on, but for those of you who live here, I'm hoping all of you can understand this type of "cold" I am speaking of.

Today was no different. I had to get a few errands done, and Isaac came with me, of course. Over the winter, Isaac and I have perfected the "it's freeeeeezing" walk by carrying Isaac in my arms, and he immediately buries his head against my neck to keep warm. Eskimo child. By the way, don't you think this little boy looks like Isaac?

With cold weather comes book-hibernating. I haven't been that good with reading this winter, but I have managed to get through a few, one of which was a repeat. I am trying to convince everyone to read Angels and Demons before the movie comes out. I loved it that much! Angels and Demons is actually a prequel to "The da Vinci Code" and in my opinion, it is soooo much better. I read almost all of Dan Brown's books 6 years ago, and I wanted to brush up on the book again before the movie. So worth it.



I finally got around to reading The Alchemist. It took all of about 7 hours to read, but it was an amazing read. I was underlining passages left and right. It's a great book about choosing your course in life, and following your dreams no matter the outcome. I was reminded that we forget to go after our dreams because we feel that we will fail, or because it seems too impossible. Life is too short to wonder what could have been!

I just finished reading Confessions of a Shopaholic, by Sophie Kinsella because I'm dying to see the movie, which comes out in February (I think.) I almost put it down half way through because I felt like the way she reasoned with herself was a lot like what goes on in my head:) I couldn't handle hearing my thoughts through another person's mind. Except my thoughts aren't about Dolce and Gabbana boots, or a Gucci bag. My thoughts are more along the cheaper (much cheaper!) side of buying. I'm definitely, definitely not a shopaholic, but there's something that twitches in me when I see something amazing and I know it's out of the question. Or how about runs to Target, and trying to come out with only one bag. Yeah, that's hard!

It turned out to be a really cute book, and she left the readers hanging a bit at the end, which makes me want to to read the next book. I always love books that take place in England, because I feel the humor is so much fun and entertaining. On to the next book. I feel like revisiting Harry Potter!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Agreed! I've about had it with Michigan winter!! I want to see the sun.
Jim and I read Angels and Demons awhile ago and agree with you that its better than the Davinci Code. I actually loved it. I couldn't put it down. I'm so glad they're making it into a movie!!

Mike and Ashley said...

I have the next Shopaholic book...in fact, I have ALL of them!!! I think they are just great fun! Let me know if you want to borrow it! I agree about the bone chilling cold!!! They have told me that North Dakota is actually not as bad as here...What??? -40 degrees is not as bad as here??? Craziness!!!

Natalie said...

I have to say that today in Utah was really cold, but I know it's not even close to those horrid Michigan winters! I'm so glad I'm not there in the tundra and lake effect blizzards. Don't freeze to death and I think you'd look amazing in an all-fur Eskimo coat!

J'Amy Day said...

Glad you are back safely! And the lovely winter weather was here to greet you, as well. Loved the Shopaholic book, too, and I'm taking your advise and am going to pick up Angels and Demons.

Can I just say that Isaac is the cutest little thing? We had so much fun with him on Monday...he just followed the dog around all day saying, "Aw-uh....."

Unknown said...

I'm sorry it's so cold! Who knows, maybe Steve'll go to school in Michigan and then we'll invest in your Eskimo coats :) Thanks for the book recommendations. I love to read, but I can never bring myself to start a new book because then I am oblivious to the world until I finish it. My mom gave me the book Goose Girl for my birthday because she read it and loved it. And I really want to read it, but again the oblivious to the world thing is getting in my way. When I was reading Breaking Dawn, every time Analysse would see me open the book she would put her hands over the pages to cover them and would say No Read Mommy, Play Me!

erintucker81 said...

Okay, I feel your pain on the cold...I had to scrape the inside of my car the other day...where does that come from???