Sunday, November 13, 2011

transparency on all counts

Transparency is key with blogging. At least for me. And quite frankly, I refuse to read blogs that paint life as peachy perfect, and children who are always smiling at the camera, and houses that never show imperfections. (If you need a reminder, re-read {this} blog post or even {this one}.

And while many of my pictures or stories show my imperfections, and my irrational thoughts, it's what I'm feeling or doing, and I'm okay with that. And that is, my definition of a blog: a transparent journaling of life.

Today was suppose to be a great day, but I must say it was anything but that. Isaac's primary program was today at church, and over the past week, I have elongated his bedtime routine so he and I could practice all of his songs that they would be singing. He memorized his line, and even had second versus down pat!

Today came. My parents drove up to be here, as well as my sister, Jessy, and her husband, Kelly and their new baby, Troy. We were actually early enough to get a comfortable seat, and all was going well. Until the actual program began. When they asked the kids to go to the front, he wouldn't budge. Not only not budge, but started pitching a fit in the aisle. What the? Nu-uh. Oh crap.

So, I went up to where he was having his fit, whispered support in his ear (the threats came later unfortunately) and started scooting him up the stairs and to his seat. Except while on our way to his seat, he decided to throw another fit (What the? Nu-uh. Oh crap.) and it made both him AND ME completely lose our balance and we went tumbling onto the floor. As in me, completely on the floor, not sure if my skirt was up in the back, sorta thing. Isaac wailed, "MY NECK!!!!!!" and Sean came up and we took him outside. Yes I was embarrassed because of what he did, but I was more embarrassed by my spread eagle fall, and still not knowing if I mooned the audience.

Sean spoke to Isaac, and I slipped back into the chapel without making eye contact with anyone. My sister passed me her sweet sleepy Troy, and I pretended to nuzzle in his neck when actually I was having a little cry. How did this day turn out this way?

And while I wanted to crawl in a hole and stick my face in some icecream, I showed a lot of control and instead put my face in a bag of wavy potato chips when I got home. My sweet family tried to make me feel better, but all I could envision was my triumphant spread eagle fall playing over and over again in my head. I'm so thankful they were there to help me laugh about it, and to let me know that I did NOT moon the audience.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did not notice the fall, but I saw the reluctance. Lily pulled that her first program too, and flat out refused to go up. It was 5 days after Amos was born, so I had him in a sling and Peter was 1, and I just could not get her up there. My sister eventually got her on the stand, but had to stay there with her, and I think Lily cried the whole time she was on the stand. It was so rotten. Fortunately, it was not an indicator of future success. But today, you guys had huge success: Isaac got up and stayed up on the stand. I was impressed.

erintucker81 said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry things didn't go as planned, but someday you will laugh at it- I promise :) Thanks for being so transparent- I've always loved that about your blog (and you!).

Anonymous said...

So that is why you don't read my blog. I know you are so envious of my perfect life :) I think I lose it more often at Church with my kids than anywhere else. So glad your family was there to help! I love you and thanks for letting us see the real you every time you post :)

The Bourne Family said...

I didn't see your fall either! I think the chaos of getting all the kids to the front masked any tripping on your part. I thought Isaac did a great job, and the fact that he was willing to go up to the microphone is a victory! I am also so impressed with all of the work you did with him at home to memorize his part and all the songs. You are wonderful :-)

Becky said...

Ahhh..that's a beautiful story and it will bring me comfort in the future when I know something equal in proportion to your experience happens to me. I loved your recollection of the day :)

kelly said...

kids are turds.

Welch Mom said...

Well,I am glad I am not the only one that has a kid that 1) throws fits in church, 2) refuses to go up on the stand at church-we always have to walk him up there. I am sure there are many moments that we all want to lose it, but it seems like you handled it better than I would have. I probably would have end up crying in the bathroom or left church. And just think when we document the "real stuff" we can go back and show our kids just how cool we were for putting up with their moments :)

Amanda said...

I'm with Kel. But when they make you proud, it makes up for the times they are turds. And the fall seemed so epic, I'm kinda bummed I didn't see it! Is that mean to say?!?